Sunday, January 26, 2014

Done and conquered!

We did it!. The Tenix Round The Mountain Relay team of Beer and Bubbles completed the adventure, did not win any spot prizes but passed the finish line in style. Karen, Phill and I took just over 7 hours to ride around Mount Egmont on a nice sunny, slightly windy Taranaki day. Phill started the first leg, while Karen and I went supermarket shopping for beer and bubbles. Karen took over the ride at Okato and did the 35 kms in 1 hour 13 minutes. I took over from Opunake and a long while later I reached Kaponga (26 kms) where Phill zoomed off up hill to Pembroke Road School. This was when the head wind kicked in a bit but by 1pm Phill and Karen had swapped riders, Marilyn was most impressed with all of us, and Karen had the difficult task of riding the head wind to Inglewood.
Phill took over at Inglewood for the last 20km stretch so Karen and I raced to park the car and ride back to meet Phill a kilometre from the end with beer and bubbles in our pockets. Riding the last kilometre we were passed by a number of professional riders (zooming really fast - they started at 11am) but still we finished as a team and given a warm welcome by those waiting.
Another beautiful taranaki day - what a great view to keep me inspired.

Along the Opunake Road
Finished 26Kms under my belt!!!!!!!
Karen says are we on for next year already.